a survey button

Sending Money to an Offender

The Department of Corrections provides the following three options to send money to an offender: JPay, Western Union or Mail.

DOC Policy, 200.000, Trust Accounts for Offenders, restricts the ability to place money in trust accounts for multiple offenders. Specifically, it reads: “Family, friends, and/or other individuals may not deposit to more than one offender’s trust account without the Superintendent’s prior approval.” Contraband funds end up being deposited in the Offender Welfare Betterment fund. Send Money

When funds are received on behalf of an offender, they are subject to mandatory deductions as required by RCW 72.09.480, unless exempt (i.e, funds specifically designated for postage, education or qualified medical expenses). Further information can be found in the attachments to DOC Policy 200.000, specifically the Deductions Matrix (Attachment 2).

JPay money online, over the phone or in person

Funds sent via JPay may be deposited into an offender’s spendable, postage, education or medical sub-accounts. Offenders may also receive Escorted Leave funds (Funeral/Deathbed visits) via JPay.

When sending money through JPay, utilize one of the options below:

  • Go online to www.JPay.com – Send money online with your credit or debit card
  • JPay Mobile – Send money anytime, anywhere by downloading the free app
  • Call JPay customer service at 1-800-574-5729 – Speak with a live agent, 24/7
  • Cash with MoneyGram – At nationwide locations including CVS and Walmart
Deposit Amount JPay.com/Mobile 1-800-574-5729 MoneyGram
$0.01-$20.00 $3.95 $4.95 $8.95
$20.01-$100.00 $7.95 $8.95 $8.95
$100.01-$200.00 $9.95 $10.95 $8.95
$200.01-$300.00 $11.95 $12.95 $8.95

Funds are typically posted to offenders' accounts the following business day during normal business hours. Incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the sender may delay posting or result in refusal of the transaction.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding JPay transfers, please contact JPay directly, not the Washington State Department of Corrections.

Western Union money online, over the phone or in person

NOTE: Western Union’s website has been very unstable. If the link below does not work, please use the Western Union main page.

Funds sent via Western Union are deposited into an offender’s spendable sub–account only. When sending money through Western Union, make sure you have the following information handy:

  • Code City — WA DOC
  • State — WA
  • Account Number — DOC number + offender’s last name (example: 123456Doe)
    • You must know the offender’s six–digit DOC number and the offender’s last name
    • The last name must match the DOC database exactly. If the offender was booked in our system under Hanson, the name must be spelled as Hanson, even if the person’s name is actually spelled Hansen.
    • Check the Offender Info page for DOC number and last name
  • If you are sending money over the phone, ask to use "Quick Collect" to receive the more inexpensive money–sending service.

Any questions or concerns regarding Western Union transfers should be directed to Western Union, not the Washington State Department of Corrections.

Mail a cashier’s check or money order (least expensive option)

A cashier’s check or money order can be deposited into four kinds of sub–accounts and must have the sub–account written on the cashier’s check or money order. Cash or personal checks are not accepted.

  1. Spendable – Unrestricted and available for the offender’s use. Money orders⁄cashiers checks not designated to another sub–account will be posted to this sub–account.
  2. Postage – Use restricted to postage charges. The money order⁄cashiers check must be clearly marked “postage.”
  3. Medical – Use restricted to health care copays, over–the–counter (OTC) medications, and eyeglasses. The money order⁄cashiers check must be clearly marked as “medical.”
  4. Education – Use restricted for payment of education tuition⁄fees and⁄or expenses ancillary to participation in an approved education program. The money order⁄cashier’s check must be clearly marked as “education.”

Mailing Requirements

NOTE: The document inside the envelope must have the offender’s full name and the six-digit DOC number.

The outside envelope must be addressed with:

  • The offender’s full name
  • Six-digit DOC number, and correct facility address.
  • A return address as defined by the USPS including an identifiable first and last name.
  • the name of the unit where the offender lives (not required for delivery)

John B. Hancock
1024 S. Bee St
Olympia, WA 98506-4321

Jack J. Doe, DOC 123456
Stafford Creek Corrections Center, H2
191 Constantine Way
Aberdeen, WA 98520

The letter(s) inside must be addressed to the offender on the envelope.

Do not send cash, personal checks or stamps, the mail will be rejected and returned to you at the offender's expense.