a survey button

Incarcerated Veterans Family Support

The Department of Corrections is committed to assisting incarcerated veterans to access the many benefits and services that may be available to them and their families. This web page provides information and links to state and federal veterans’ benefits, programs and services. As a counselor, volunteer, staff person or CCO, you may provide this information to offenders in order to help them and their families access these services.

President Obama signed the “VOW to Hire Heroes Act” into law on November 21, 2011. The Returning Heroes Tax Credit provides businesses that hire unemployed veterans a maximum credit of $5,600 per veteran, and the Wounded Warriors Tax Credit offers businesses that hire veterans with service–connected disabilities a maximum credit of $9,600 per veteran.

Veteran Legal Advocacy

www.repwavets.org provides basic civil legal and cultural information, enabling veterans advocates in Washington to understand and navigate the complex system of federal, state, and local benefits, services, and programs that are available for veterans.

U.S. Dept. of Labor, Secretary Hilda Solis P3 Campaign:

Prepare, Provide, Protect — for the Nation’s Veterans

In the next five years, 1.5 million military personnel will be transitioning from active duty to civilian life. Helping our military heroes find good jobs is a challenge — and a sacred obligation — that has been embraced by the Department. In its efforts, the Department has adopted a P3 campaign — to Prepare transitioning service members for civilian employment; to Provide resources and priority case management to veterans through the American Job Centers network; and to Protect their employment rights. The Department is also part of the President’s newly created Veterans Employment Initiative Task Force, designed to develop proposals to maximize the career readiness of all service members. This effort aims to give separating service members a clear path to civilian employment success in an academic or technical training program or successful start–up of an independent business entity or nonprofit organization. The Task Force includes the departments of Defense, Veterans Affairs, Labor, Education, Small Business Administration, and the Office of Personnel Management. The department’s commitments to veterans are being led and coordinated by the Veterans’ Employment and Training Service.

In a Public Service Announcement by Secretary Solis, veterans are encouraged to apply for the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP). This program targets unemployed veterans between the ages of 35 and 60. The program entitles qualified veterans 12 months of assistance at a rate up to $1473 per month. This program began on July 1, 2012.

National Resource Directory

The NRD provides: Benefits & Compensation, Education & Training, Employment, Family & Caregiver Support, Health, Homeless Assistance, Housing, Transportation & Travel, Volunteer Opportunities

The Real Warriors Campaign

The Real Warriors is a multimedia public awareness campaign designed to encourage help–seeking behavior among service members, veterans and military families coping with invisible wounds. Launched by the Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE) in 2009.

Veteran’s Education Benefits

Whether you want to apply your GI Bill benefits to college classes or an on-the-job training program, this tool will help you make the most of you decision. GI Bill Comparison Tool

Veteran’s Health Benefits

Visit the Veterans Health Administration if you’re not enrolled for Veteran’s Health Benefits or want to update them.

This Expanded Access to Non–VA Care Through the Veterans Choice Program was just published this month.

Here is a summary for Veterans to obtain medical treatment outside of the VA Health Care System:

Veterans must have been enrolled to the VA health care system on or before August 1, 2014, or must be within 5 years of post–combat separations. Veterans must also either be unable to schedule an appointment within the wait–time goals of the VHA or qualify based on their place of residence. Veterans may qualify based on the place of residence if they live more than 40 miles from the closest VA medical facility; if they reside in a state without a VA medical facility that provides hospital care, emergency medical services, and surgical care rated by the Secretary as having a surgical complexity of standard, and they reside more than 20 miles from a medical facility that offers these services in another state; or with certain exceptions, if they reside 40 miles or less from a VA medical facility and must travel by air, boat, or ferry, or face an unusual or excessive burden in traveling to a VA medical facility because of geographical challenges.

Veteran Health Identification Card

This veteran’s web page includes: “If you are not currently enrolled with the VA for your health care, we encourage you to apply for enrollment online at www.va.gov⁄healthbenefits⁄enroll or by calling 1–877–222–VETS (8387). You may also apply for enrollment in person at your local VA medical facility. Once your enrollment is verified, your picture will be taken at your local VA medical center so that, once production begins, a Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) will be mailed to you. To ensure your identity, you must provide either one primary or two secondary documents. See the Acceptable Documents for Identity Proofing table below.”

Acceptable Identity Proof Documents

The old VICs and VHICs are acceptable forms of primary identification.

Primary Identification
Secondary Identification
Present ONE form of Primary Identification
If a Primary form of identification is not available, present TWO forms of Secondary Identification
State–Issued Driver’s License
Certified Birth Certificate
State Issued Identification Card
Original Social Security Card
United States (U.S.) Passport
DD214 or equivalent certificate issued by Department of Defense of War Department
VA Identification Card (VIC) or VHIC
Marriage License (certified copy)
Military ID Card
State Vote Registration Card
Temporary Resident Card
Student ID Card
Resident Alien Card
Native American Tribal Document
Permanent Resident Card
Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (INS Form N–560 or N–561)
Other Federal or State issued photo ID
Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (INS Form N–550 or N–570)
Certificate issued by US Consular Offices documenting the birth of a child on foreign soil to a US citizen. (Form FS–545, Form DS–1350, DS Form 240 or Form 240)

Employment Opportunities

Military to Federal Jobs Crosswalk – Identify federal jobs related to your military occupation.

Career One–Stop – A Veteran Re–employment Resource that will locate an American Job Center near your hometown.

Veterans Guide to Getting Hired - This is an informational site to assist veterans in their job search: Resources, Tips and Advice for Veterans Returning to the Workforce.

Helmets to Hardhats

If you’re looking for a career, you’re in the right place. Helmets to Hardhats connects quality men and women from the Armed Forces with promising building and construction careers.

VETNET — A Career Service for Those Who’ve Served

VETNET is a collaboration between veteran–focused non–governmental organizations designed to help vets and their families find careers. Transitioning from military to civilian life presents unique challenges. To make things easier and provide structure, a few of the leading organizations in veteran career development have combined forces to create one easy place to start.

  • Get your resume and career search skills squared away
  • Connect with industry leaders
  • Attend classes to learn how to start your own business

O*NET OnLine (Occupational Information Network)

O*NET is a web–based application that can provide military personnel with a crosswalk of jobs worked in the military to jobs in the civilian workforce that have similar job requirements.

Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) website and the Washington State Veterans Affairs (WDVA) website both have many helpful pages including the following:

The City of Lacey is partnering with the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Tacoma Vet Center to provide services and resources to eligible Thurston County Veterans and their families, making trips to the nearest Vet Center in Tacoma a thing of the past. Services are offered from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of each month from a state–of–the–art mobile center parked at Lacey City Hall, 420 College St SE. Assistance at the Lacey location includes:

  • Department of Veterans Affairs benefits explanation and referral
  • Employment referral
  • Medical referral
  • Post–Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and substance abuse assessment and referral
  • Military sexual trauma counseling and referral
  • Marriage and family counseling
  • Suicide prevention referral
  • Support for successful transition from military to civilian life

Appointments in Lacey can be made by calling the Tacoma Vet Center at (253) 565–7038 or (877) 927–8387. Drop–in visits are also accepted on a space available basis.

Available publications


Request Your Military Service Records Online or by Fax has instructions and information with links to assist you.


U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs VA Forms webpage.

A veteran may only receive a portion of the full amount payable for his or her disability rating. Typically, a veterans compensation benefits are reduced to the 10–percent rate on the 61st day of incarceration following a conviction. However, the remaining balance may be apportioned to the individual’s dependent family if they can show financial need for such amount. This applies to the spouse, children or dependent parents who are involved in the application. If the veteran continues to receive benefits after the 60–day grace period, it will result in an overpayment. As a rule, the veteran loses most, if not all, financial benefits until the VA recovers the entire overpayment. Family members will not be entitled to receive an apportionment until the debt is completely recovered.

Form 21–4193 needs to be filled out at the time of incarceration by a DOC Counselor or family member informing the VA the offender is now incarcerated. The aim is to get this form to the VA within the first 60 days of incarceration. This form is used for those offenders who are receiving Disability Compensation or Pension Benefits.

NOTE: Reinstate Disability Pension Benefits after release from prison - Submit Form 21–4138 Statement in Support. The offender needs to fill out this form, attach a copy of their DOC release papers and give it to the VA in order for their Disability or Pension benefits be reinstated.



Media Room website has more brochures and videos.

TEDx Talks has these video titles:

The DOC veterans contact is:

Teri Herold–Prayer, Administrator (360) 725-8265