Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (PREA)
The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) is a federal law that prohibits and seeks to eliminate sexual assaults and sexual misconduct in correctional institutions and community corrections settings. The Department of Corrections (DOC) is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for staff and offenders.
- The DOC has zero tolerance for sexual assault or abuse of any person or sexual relationships between staff and offenders
- Offenders who have non–consensual sexual contact with another offender will be disciplined and referred to law enforcement
- Employees, contract staff, volunteers and vendors who engage in sexual contact or sexual misconduct with offenders will be terminated and referred for criminal prosecution when applicable
How to Report Institutional Sexual Assault and/or Staff Sexual Misconduct
If you have information regarding a DOC offender who has been sexually assaulted while under DOC custody or community supervision, please call: 1-800-586-9431
Calls to this toll-free number in DOC Headquarters are recorded. Messages are checked Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. by staff of the HQ Workplace Investigation Services.
You don’t have to give your name but it is critical that you provide as many details as possible. This includes:
- The name(s) and locations of persons involved
- The name(s) or description of any witnesses to the incident
- DOC number (if an offender)
- A brief description of the incident(s)
- A brief description of where the event(s) occurred
- The date(s), time and place of occurrence(s)
- Names and contact information of others who might have additional information about the incident
- Your contact phone number and address (optional)
The DOC investigates all allegations of offender–on–offender sexual assaults and staff sexual misconduct. Investigations are initiated by the PREA – Special Investigation Unit in DOC Headquarters.
Reporting Information for DOC Inmates
Offenders serving their sentence within a DOC facility are urged to report allegations of rape, sexual contact or staff sexual misconduct to the toll–free number (0-800-586-9431 from a prison facility). Offenders can also report by submitting a kite, a grievance, telling a trusted staff member, asking a family member or friend to call the hotline or by sending a written report to the PREA unit in DOC Headquarters via legal mail.
If you have questions or would like additional information about PREA, please contact:
PO Box 41131
Olympia, WA 98504-1131