DOC Website External Links Policy
This notice recognizes that it is necessary to include links on Dept of Corrections (DOC) Website to Websites outside DOC’s control. The purpose of this notice is to clearly state that links to external Websites from DOC’s Website are established and retained at DOC’s discretion. This notice also provides guidelines on when links to external sources are inappropriate.
The Purpose of DOC’s Website is to promote public service to citizens and businesses by:
- Expanding business and citizen access to DOC’s services and information;
- Accelerating the delivery of quality online DOC services;
- Improving the level of customer satisfaction with DOC; and
- Extending online government services to all citizens in Washington State.
- "doc.wa.gov” shall mean Web pages whose content is under the direction and control of DOC. (These terms do not include intranet sites controlled or operated by DOC.)
- “Purpose” shall mean the purpose of DOC’s Websites stated in this policy, Section 184.108.40.206.
- “External Website” shall mean all Websites other than "doc.wa.gov” and sites DOC has contracted with a 3rd party vendor to develop and maintain.
- “DOC’s Websites” shall mean doc.wa.gov and other Websites developed and maintained by DOC or by a 3rd party vendor under contract with DOC.
This notice applies to DOC’s Websites. Links to the following types of Web pages may be included in DOC’s Websites:
- Other Governmental Units & Educational Institutions - DOC’s Websites may provide links to other federal, state, and local governmental units and educational institutions that provide additional services and information that DOC’s Websites users may find of interest; or
- Private Organizations - DOC’s Websites may provide links to private organizations if these organizations offer services that complement the purpose, information and services offered by DOC’s Websites and if the links meet the acceptance criteria stated in this notice.
- DOC’s Websites may provide links to Websites that are not controlled, maintained, or regulated by DOC, and as such DOC’s Websites is not responsible for the content of those Websites.
Use of information obtained from external Websites is voluntary. Any information obtained from an external Website is not guaranteed by DOC and the user should review the accuracy of any information before relying upon it. Reference to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, or otherwise does not represent endorsement or recommendation by DOC.
1.4 Content Guidelines
Guidelines for Establishing a Link from DOC’s Websites to an External Website
Using the following acceptance criteria, DOC will review every link and decide whether it is appropriate and corresponds with the Purpose of DOC’s Websites
An inappropriate link may include, but is not limited to links to Websites that:
- Exhibit hate, bias, discrimination, pornography, libelous or otherwise defamatory content;
- Advocates or promotes the use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs;
- Lobby, advocate, or advance the policies and priorities of a particular industry, organization or enterprise. This may include sites of non-profit organizations;
- Promote or makes available adult or sexually oriented entertainment or materials;
- Promote, oppose, or makes available weapons or gambling;
- Advocate for or against a candidate for public office or promote or oppose a ballot proposition.
Additionally, DOC reserves the right to deny links if it determines that a Website contains misleading or unsubstantiated claims, conflicts with the Purpose of DOC’s Websites or does not meet one or more of the criteria set forth in this policy.
Guidelines for Establishing a Link to DOC’s Websites from an External Website
Advance permission to link to DOC’s Websites is not necessary; however, Website users should be aware that DOC’s Websites sub-pages, including the pages of other state agencies and local governments, may change at any time without notice. Anyone linking to DOC’s Websites should continuously verify links to sub pages.
Anyone linking to DOC’s Websites shall not display DOC’s Websites Web pages within frames, present DOC’s Websites content as its own, or otherwise misrepresent DOC’s Websites content, and they should not misinform users about the origin or ownership of DOC’s Websites content. Certain information on DOC’s Websites may be trademarked, service-marked, or otherwise protected as intellectual property. Protected intellectual property must be used in accordance with state and federal laws and must reflect the proper ownership of the intellectual property.
1.5 Link Oversight and Monitoring
DOC has established procedures to monitor the implementation and continuing oversight of links. These procedures include:
- A process to review all new requests for links from a DOC Web page to another Web page to ensure compliance with this notice prior to granting the request; and
- A quarterly review of not less than seven (7) percent or a quantity of thirty-five (35) of the then current external links for each DOC Website, whichever is less, to ensure that such links still comply with this policy.
1.6 Removal of Links
DOC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove links if it determines that an external Website contains misleading or unsubstantiated claims, conflicts with the Purpose of DOC’s Websites, or does not meet one or more of the criteria set forth herein.
Links from DOC’s Websites will be reviewed regularly and may be removed for any of the following reasons:
- The link no longer points to the original information or resource to which it was intended to point;
- The Website contains inaccurate or misleading information or has changed such that it is no longer in compliance with the acceptance criteria;
- Access to the information has become difficult due to non-standard formatting, lengthy download times, or intrusive advertising;
- The Website is permanently unreachable or remains unavailable for a lengthy period.
Removal of external links on the above bases will be permitted whether or not DOC is legally obligated to act upon any information of which it is aware. Non-removal of external links shall not be construed to mean the external Website complies with this policy or to create any right to continue such links.