Per RCW 43.376.020, the Department of Corrections (DOC) makes a reasonable effort to collaborate with Indian tribes in the development of policies, agreements, and program implementation that directly affects tribes. There are 29 federally recognized tribes in the State of Washington.
The secretary shall designate a tribal relations liaison who interacts with tribes and reports directly to the secretary.
The tribal relations liaison is responsible for assisting the department in developing and implementing agency policies that promote effective communication and collaboration between the department and tribal governments, and coordinating training of departmental employees in cultural competency in providing effective services to tribal governments and tribal members (RCW 43.376.030).
44.5% Recidivism Rate
44.5% of inmates identifying as American Indian/Alaska Native returned to prison within 36 months of release. (March 2020)
5.9% of Inmates
5.9% of the Department's incarcerated population, or 957 individuals, identify as American Indian/Alaska Native. (June 2020)
1.5% of Staff
1.5% of staff, or 136 individuals, identify as American Indian/Alaska Native. (June 2020)
1.8% of Citizens
1.8% of Washington state's population, or approximately 136,590 individuals, identify as American Indian/Alaska Native. (Washington State Office of Financial Management, September 2019)
Pow Wow Schedule
A community member cannot attend a pow wow unless they first contact the correctional facility religious coordinator or Winona Stevens by phone at (253) 212-9227 or email at least 45 days prior to the event.
Update: The Pow Wows scheduled for calendar year 2020 have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic public health precautions.
Date & Location
- Saturday, May 2, 2020 - Coyote Ridge Corrections Center - Main
- Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - Washington State Penitentiary - Medium
- Saturday, May 16, 2020 - Coyote Ridge Corrections Center - MSU
- Wednesday, June 3, 2020 - Stafford Creek Corrections Center
- Saturday, June 13, 2020 - Monroe Corrections Complex - WSRU
- Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - Washington State Penitentiary - Minimum
- Sunday, July 12, 2020 - Washington Corrections Center
- Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - Washington State Penitentiary - BAR
- Saturday, July 25, 2020 - Monroe Corrections Complex - SOU
- Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - Washington State Penitentiary - Zone 1
- Friday, August 14, 2020 - Clallam Bay Corrections Center
- Saturday, August 15, 2020 - Larch Corrections Center
- Thursday, August 20, 2020 - Airway Heights Corrections Center - Main
- Saturday, August 22, 2020 - Monroe Corrections Complex - TRU
- Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - Washington State Penitentiary - Zone 2
- Saturday, August 29, 2020 - Cedar Creek Corrections Center
- Saturday, September 19, 2020 - Olympic Corrections Center
- Saturday, October 3, 2020 - Monroe Correctional Complex - Minimum
- Saturday, October 3, 2020 - Mission Creek Corrections Center for Women
- Thursday, October 15, 2020 - Airway Heights Corrections Center - MSU
- Saturday, October 17, 2020 - Washington Corrections Center for Women
- DOC Policy 200.000 Trust Accounts for Offenders
- DOC Policy 420.115 Special Escorted Leave for Funerals/Deathbed Visits on Tribal Lands
- DOC 07-011 Request for Information Regarding Tribal Deposits
- DOC 20-440 Native American Heritage Questionnaire
Laws & Regulations
Below are the state laws (RCWs) that apply to and/or relate to Tribal Relations.
- RCW 43.376.010 Definitions.
- RCW 43.376.020 Government-to-government relationships—State agency duties.
- RCW 43.376.030 State agency tribal liaison.
Reports to the Governor's Office
Per RCW 43.376.020, the Department must submit an annual report to the governor's office on agency activities involving tribal relations.
- 2020 Centennial Accord Agency Highlights (p. 13-14)
- 2019 Centennial Accord Agency Highlights (p. 10-11)
- 2018 Centennial Accord Agency Highlights (p. 11-12)
- 2017 Centennial Accord Agency Highlights (p. 8)
Department of Corrections is proud to be a workgroup member organization of the Governor's Indian Health Advisory Council.
- All state tribal relations reports can be found at the Governor's Office of Indian Affairs (GOIA).
- Chief Seattle Club
- Governor Jay Inslee's 2020 Proclamation on Native American Heritage Month and Day
- Tribal Training and Technical Assistance Center (TTAC) (SAMHSA)
- United Indians of All Tribes Foundation
- Washington State Tribal Map
- 2019 Washington State Patrol Missing & Murdered Native American Women Report
Native American Religious & Cultural Services Contract
- Department of Corrections Contract No. K11248 (7/2016, signatures on file)
- Contract No. K11248 Amendment 1 (1/2017, signatures on file)
- Contract No. K11248 Amendment 2 (6/2019, signatures on file)
- Contract No. K11248 Amendment 3 (4/2020, signatures on file)