The Washington legislature has established a comprehensive system of corrections for convicted law violators within the state of Washington to accomplish a primary objective of ensuring public safety. The system is designed and managed to provide the maximum feasible safety for the persons and property of the general public, the staff, and the inmates (RCW 72.09.010).
The Department of Corrections (DOC) has 12 prison facilities with custody levels ranging from minimum to maximum security.
Prison Population by Age (as of 10/11/2023)
|Age Category||Number||Percent of Total|
|less than 22||239||1.8%|
|greater than 70||312||2.3%|
*Numbers include all inmate locations, such as prison, reentry and out-of-state.
Men's Prison Facilities
The Washington State Department of Corrections currently has ten men's prison facilities.
- Airway Heights Corrections Center (AHCC)
- Cedar Creek Corrections Center (CCCC)
- Clallam Bay Corrections Center (CBCC)
- Coyote Ridge Corrections Center (CRCC)
- Monroe Correctional Complex (MCC)
- Olympic Corrections Center (OCC)
- Stafford Creek Corrections Center (SCCC)
- Washington Corrections Center (WCC)
- Washington State Penitentiary (WSP)
Women's Prison Facilities
The Washington State Department of Corrections currently has two women's prison facilities.