Below are Department of Corrections (DOC) policies that apply to research and data analytics.
Below are Department of Corrections (DOC) forms which are applicable to research and data analytics.
Laws & Regulations
Below are federal and state laws (RCWs) that apply to and/or relate to research and data analytics.
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 45, Part 46 (45 CFR 46)
CFR Title 45 Public Welfare, Part 46 Protection of Human Subjects, provides the United States Department of Health & Human Services' basic policy for the protection of human research subjects, as well as additional protections for other special groups including but not limited to biomedical and behavior research involving prisoners as subjects.
Revised Code of Washington (RCW)
- RCW 42.48.020 – Access to personal records.
A state agency may authorize or provide access to or provide copies of an individually identifiable personal record for research purposes.
- RCW 42.48.040 – Disclosure by research professional.
No research professional who has established an individually identifiable research record from personal record information for the explicit purpose of research, may disclose such a record in individually identifiable form unless certain stipulations are met.
- Research Process Flow Chart 200-IG001
Reports & Studies
The following studies include data related to all inmates under the jurisdiction of Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC), including those inmates who are incarcerated or serving a sentence that requires community supervision. Depending on sentencing guidelines and legislated policies, data will vary in years of available data and reporting limits. The reports and studies are intended for educational and informational purposes.
- Aging Prison Population Trends in Washington: Offenses, Custody Levels, and Recidivism, 1998-2018 200-RE003
- Community Reentry: Releases to Pierce County 300-RE003
- First-Year Returns to Prison and Warrant Issuance in the Proclamation 20-50 Population Report 300-RE009
- Program and Labor Market Participation 500-RE002
- Recidivism Findings – Thinking for a Change (T4C) Report 500-RE004
- Reentry and Neighborhood Disadvantage 300-RE004
- Research Guide 100-GU003
- Residential Parenting Report 400-FS003
- Sentence Enhancements and Race Report 300-RE008
- Sex Offense Treatment and Assessment Programs (SOTAP) Participants Recidivism Report500-RE003
- Stable-2007 Predictive Validity 500-RE001
- STATIC-99R Predictive Validity 200-RE004
- Washington State Corrections' Research on Prison Misconduct and Race 100-RE003
- Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA)
- Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
- Caseload Forecast Council (CFC)
- The Council of State Governments (CSG) Justice Center
- The Evergreen State College – Sustainability in Prisons Project (SPP)
- Sentencing Guidelines Commission (SGC)
- Washington State Center for Court Research (WSCCR)
- Washington State Institute for Criminal Justice (WSICJ)
- Washington State Institute for Public Policy (WSIPP)
- Washington State Statistical Analysis Center (WSSAC)